The department of Haematology, Medical Research Institute performs special clinical diagnostic tests, act as the NEQAP (National External Quality Assurance Programme) provider, act as the national center for research in clinical haematology and provide training support to medical staff.
- Services provided:
- Platelet Function tests (Light Transmission Aggregometery).
- Assessment of antiplatelet drug effect (Light Transmission Aggregometery).
Reports will be available; within 1 week, urgent reports/results will be informed over the phone within the same day.
- Ø These tests are done on prior appointments only - click for further details
- Patients have to be referred to MRI by a Consultant Haematologists.
- The appointments are given by a Medical Officer/MRI.
- When taking appointments;
Preferred to see the patient by the Consultant Haematologists at MRI.
All the reports and the referral letters have to be available.
- This test needs special patient preparation/ pretest requirements - click for further details
- Following are to be followed in patient / Normal control person preparation.
- Certain drugs can affect the test results and should to be deferred for 14 days; please take instructions from the Medical Officer- MRI.
- Food which may affect the test results should be deferred for 14 days; Herbal remedies, garlic, ginger, coffee, alcohol , and Vitamin tablets.
- Any blood transfusion (blood or blood product) or Coagulation Factor treatment can interfere with the test results. Please discuss with the Consultant Haematologist, MRI. (usually in such cases the test is deferred for one month)
- Patient has to be kept overnight fasting (may take clear fluids; water, plain tea)
- Patients should refrain from smoking and caffeine ingestion on the day of testing
- Patient has to sit and rest for 15-30 minutes before sample collection.
3) Coagulation factor assay
- Factor ii
- Factor i
- Factor v
- Factor vii
- Factor viii
- Factor ix
Please note: Patients for these tests has to be referred by a consultant hematologist & tests are done on appointment basis
d) VonWillebrand test profile:
- vWF antigen assay
- vWF activity assay
- Factor viii
Please note: Patients for these tests has to be referred by a consultant hematologist & tests are done on appointment basis.
e) Thalassaemia diagnostic test profile (details)
- HPLC (Bio-RAD ii)
- Capillary Haemoglobin Electrophoresis (Sebia)
- Other accessory Tests- Sickling test, Hb-H inclusions, Heat stability test
Further details: For clinicians use only.
- The MRI protocol for requesting the test: (annex 1)
- Details required to provide for HPLC: (sample request form- with a water mark, to prevent downloading & printing) (annex 2)
- A recent Full blood count should be provided with the request form.
- Recent blood transfusions affect the results of HPLC. Please contact the lab.
f) Special haematology tests
- Haematology screening & diagnostic tests
- G6PD screening test
Please note: These investigations are only done on appointment basis, referred by a consultant Haematologist.
2) Quality assurance in Haematology:
a) The department of Haematology is participating in following EQA programs:
- Blood picture UKNEQAS
- FBC- BioRad
- Thalassaemia Diagnostic test – Biorad
a) Act as the national EQA provider in
- Blood picture
- Retic count
- Basic coagulation tests
NEQA calendar for 2016 (Annex 3)
3) Education & Tutoring:
Provide training for PG doctors (M.D, Diploma in Haematology), MLT & MLS.
Ongoing surveys/research on Thalassaemia screening & bleeding disorders