PostHeaderIcon History

           The School of Medical Laboratory Technology (then “the Ceylon School of Medical Laboratory Technology”) was established on 2nd October 1959 with the blessings of the World Health Organization. The first Principal was Mr.S.G.T.Daveneport (FIMLT).

          The school had become well recognized and most of the south Asian countries such as Nepal, India, Afghanistan, Burma and Republic of Maldives sent their trainees to this school under the patronage of the World Health Organization. Until 1991, the School was housed in the premises of the Lady Ridgeway Children’s Hospital.

         On the 11th February 1992, the school was shifted to the first floor of the old building of the Medical Research Institute. Up to 2009 total of 1440 students have been recruited out of which 1300 were qualified as Medical Laboratory Technologists.