Hepatitis B and C Real-time PCR
Sample collection / storage / transport
· 5 ml of blood sample collected into a disposable EDTA tube should be sent to MRI in ice (40C) as early as possible (maximum delay – 48 hours)
· The sample should be stored at 40C until transport
· Sample collection can be conducted at MRI for patients between 8 am – 12 pm on week days (Monday to Friday)
· Hepatitis B/ C real-time PCR is an expensive test and should be ordered only when there is a real indication.
· The test should always be authorized by a Consultant.
· Serology results should always be available before requesting this test (Special situations should be discussed with the Consultant Virologist).
· 2 ml of blood should be sent in a plain bottle for the confirmation of HCV Ab result along with the sample for HCV PCR.